My 6-speed transmission in life has been stuck in neutral for quite some time. Sometimes, it felt like we hit reverse but oh well. More importantly, How can you drop the hammer and hit the floor the accelerator unless you have an idea or clue where you’re going? I propose you could in an aimless direction and ‘enjoy the journey.’
Well, ‘forget the journey.’ ‘Enjoying the journey’ is a one way destination towards mediocrity and average. Two words which are my kryptonite. If I’m average, it’s time to re-evaluate life. Well, we’ve re-evaluated life and now I know where I am headed.
One word: domination. Total domination. We’re talking levels of:
- Germany dominating Poland in 1939,
- The United States (and friends) dominating Iraq in the Persian Gulf War in 1991,
- The 1927 New York Yankees,
- The 1995-1996 Chicago Bulls,
- Microsoft with the Windows operating system, and
- Apple with the iPod.
Dominate [dom-uh-neyt] verb: to rule over, govern, or control.
What is it that I intend on dominating? The domains in which I chose to enter. The arenas in which I step into and take battle. We’re not talking Theodore Roosevelt’s cold and timid souls that know neither victory or defeat. We’re talking stepping into the fucking arena like Gladiator, slaying the competition (eat a dick Commodus), and then triumphantly asking to a degenerate crowd, “Are you not entertained?”
This is what I will dominate:
When you think of the word ‘leadership’ your first thought will be: Patrick Jones.
When you think of a ‘Naval Officer’ your first thought will be: Patrick Jones.
When you think of ‘Information Warfare’ your first thought will be: Patrick Jones.
When you think of ‘Information Professional’ your first thought will be: Patrick Jones.
Not second. Not third. Not Top 10. Your first fucking thought.
Now, you may find yourself asking, “Self, who is Patrick Jones to believe such thoughts?”
Well, I am glad you asked and here’s two answers:
1.) Who am I NOT to think such thoughts?
2.) Who the fuck are you to tell me that I am not capable?
3.) Why don’t you believe the same for yourself?
In my life I have been told I embody traits such as arrogance, cockiness, narcissism, and intense.
To everyone who has told me such things:
Thank you. You are right.
In an effort to become more ‘humble,’ I have realized I wear it like a $5 cologne from the drug store. Smells like shit. Doesn’t work. Pass me another fragrance of ‘arrogance’ and I’ll wear it like Acqua di Gio. Hell, I even attempted to become more humble to ‘silence’ my ‘haters.’ What a fucking mistake. Haters – I don’t know how many I had but damn I need more of them. Hashtags of #patjones #patjonesing #coachpat exist so why attempt to stop and why not add more?
People who are ‘your friends’ are the absolute fucking worst and serve nothing more than to project their own insecurities onto you and to what you stand. Haters only concern themselves with gossip and using their creative outlet to figure out what is going on in other’s lives. There is about a group of 15-20 people TOTAL in my life (family and my band of brothers) who I genuinely care about what is going on in their lives. Outside of that, I could care less.
Side note: If you haven’t managed to piss someone off within the course of the day, then what did you stand for – the middle ground? Being a ‘Yes’ man? Cool story, bro. You’ll always have a place in the work force because you comprise (at least) 80% of it.
Too often a humble brag is used in order to sheepishly convey accolades or accomplishment. Team #blessed or ‘I’m so humbled to blah blah blah’ Fuck that. Everything is earned. Life certainly does have a way of humbling you with a swift kick to the dick and a serving of humble pie. Only you can choose if you continue to feast on yesterday’s meal (the humble pie) or if you’re hungry for your next. So do these things:
- Swallow the humble pie,
- Pay compliments to the chef, and
- Crush some steak at your next meal (if you’re vegan, crush some kale? Gowen help me out here.)
You decide how long you savor the humble pie – no one else.
Where are we going with all of this as I crush some decaffeinated coffee at Starbucks on a Friday night? A few highlights:
- That life, as we know, is not about following passion.
- If you choose to ‘follow your passion’ then Godspeed. You’re better served locating the north star and heading in that direction in order to locate Santa Claus, his reindeer, and his slave workforce (aka his elves).
- Kudos to you and your nobility of finding your passion.
- Get really fucking good at something. Become successful with it. Then become passionate about that success. And repeat.
- Be You.
- Ruffle feathers.
- Piss someone off.
- Love everyone.
- Stand for something.
- Stop posting about politics on Facebook.
- No one cares.
- There’s enough of that shit.
- Endlessly sharing unoriginal content says more about you than it does the shared post.
- Ponzi schemes are everywhere.
- I will not join your fasting-cleanse diet.
- I will not join your 10 member workout group to get sweaty.
- #fitfam is the fucking worst family since The Waltons.
- Detox from social media.
- The NewsFeed will aimlessly consume you.
- Most people are not that interesting (see endless shares).
- Read a book. Seriously, titans of industry – do you think they aimlessly consume shitty information that is DIRECTLY targeted for your consumption? Facebook spends millions to engineer your addiction – congrats.
- ‘Staying in contact’ is a bullshit excuse to not call someone.
- And finally, I will dominate 2017. Stay tuned.
Props to Grant Cardone’s ‘The 10x Rule’ for fueling this manifesto on a Friday evening – after back squatting, eating 2 pop-tarts, and benching – this came out.